Saturday, March 9, 2013

Merilou's Favorite Homemade Chili

When my husband and I married, I loved Nalley's Chili, and he loved Stag Chili.  We compromised on not buying canned chili.  I found a Betty Crocker basic chili recipe we found we enjoyed.  Over the years, we've gotten away from eating so much red meat.  I've experimented with substituting 93/7 Ground Turkey for the ground beef in many recipes, using beef boullion or beef base to add that beef flavor. Chili was an easy recipe to revise.  It is one of our favorite meals.  If you like your chili spicier, add more chili power or hot sauce, some diced jalapeno, or even cayenne pepper to taste.
 
Serves:  4-6

Ingredients:

10 oz Foster Farms 93/7 Ground Turkey (half of a 20 oz package)
1 large onion, diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (from a jar is fine)
1/2 cup diced green pepper
2 cups pre-cooked or canned small red beans (or your choice of bean)
1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes
1 6-oz can tomato sauce
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons beef base

Saute ground turkey and onion together until turkey is fully cooked.  Break up turkey fairly finely.  Add garlic, green pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings and beef base.  Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Serve with optional diced onion and grated cheese.

Note:  I cook my dried beans in a pressure cooker without salt, so I use some additional salt.  I often double this recipe so we have leftovers for lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment