Monday, July 1, 2013

Cabbage Salad with Peanut Sauce

My sister shared the recipe for this salad with me.  Since receiving my diabetes diagnosis I've made a few changes and both Steve and I love this recipe.  It's a great way to get fiber and it tastes so good!  I usually serve some kind of barbecued chicken along side, however it is just as good alone.  Enjoy adding whatever vegetables you enjoy!

Salad:

1/2 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces, blanched (or microwave about 3 minutes)
2  large red bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, shredded
6 green onions, sliced (or 1/2 finely minced red onion)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional - I don't use)

Sauce:

1/3 cup peanut, or canola oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 T soy sauce
1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons) peanut butter (I use Skippy Natural Creamy)
1 T brown sugar blend Splenda (or 2T brown sugar)
2 T grated ginger (or process a good chunk of peeled ginger in food processor with all the dressing ingredients)
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced (or process in food processor)
1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce  (or process a jalapeno or two)

Toss all vegetables together in a large bowl.  Process all sauce ingredients in a food processor or small blender.  Pour sauce over veggies, toss together and chill.

Serve along side grilled chicken (marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and a squirt of Sriracha sauce), if desired.

Optional - garnish with dry roasted peanuts

No comments:

Post a Comment