Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Favorite Bran Muffins!

I found this recipe in my Bundt Classics cookbook.  I just thought I'd give it a try.  I wasn't even sure I'd like bran muffins!  As it turns out, both Steve and I love bran muffins - or at least this recipe!  I've made the recipe my own, using egg substitute instead of eggs, sour milk instead of buttermilk, and adding golden raisins.  I love golden raisins!  Have you looked at the color?  It speaks Autumn just looking at them.  Yum!


BRAN MUFFINS

3 cups All Bran Cereal (Kellogg's)
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
2 cups sour milk* or buttermilk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray muffin tins with canola oil spray, or skip the oil and use cupcake papers.

In a large mixing bowl, soak 1 cup of the All Bran Cereal in boiling water; cool to lukewarm.  Add sugar, butter and eggs.  Mix until light and fluffy.  Add buttermilk; mix well.  Add remaining 2 cups All Bran and all other remaining ingredients.  Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Spoon into prepared pans, filling 3/4 full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.  Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.  12 to 24 muffins.

* To make sour milk, use 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar, plus enough milk to equal 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment