Saturday, November 17, 2012

Family Favorite Cheeseburger Pasta

"Both Steve and I, and my parents, really enjoyed this recipe!  I found it in a supplemental recipe magazine by Taste of Home magazine, called "Diabetes Family Friendly Cookbook, Fall 2012".  This is the recipe that was on the cover, and I didn't think it looked that healthy, but mighty yummy!  As it turns out, it's rated "Best" as far as how healthy it is in a diabetic diet.  I'm sure much of the issue is portion-control.  We each ate 1/4 of the recipe, and were very satisfied.  I followed the recipe exactly as written, with exceptions noted in brackets.  If you like a good cheeseburger, you'll enjoy this!"

Family Favorite Cheeseburger Pasta
YIELD: 4 servings

1 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)  [I used a whole pound of 93/7 lean beef]
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes [I used regular diced tomatoes]
2 tablespoons dill pickle relish [I used my homemade dill relish]
2 tablespoons prepared mustard [I was tempted to use less, but decided to follow the recipe.  It was good!]
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon steak seasoning
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese [I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar]
Chopped green onions, optional

1.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Drain pasta; add to meat mixture.

2  Stir in the tomatoes, relish, mustard, ketchup, steak seasoning and seasoned salt.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

3.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.  Garnish with green onions if desired.

Editor's Note:  This recipe was tested with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Nutrition Facts:  1-1/2 cups equals 391 calories, 12 g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 759 mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 28g protein
Diabetic Exchanges:  3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat

No comments:

Post a Comment