Thursday, December 5, 2013

GreenTomato Enchilada Sauce

"I found this recipe in an issue of The Oregonian newspaper's Food Day.  Right before the Autumn rains hit, I would pick every last green tomato from our garden and use them to make batches of the enchilada sauce for my freezer.  Not a tomato went to waste!  I'm posting the original recipe as printed by The Oregonian, but my changes are reflected below.  See Notes."



Green Tomato Enchilada Sauce
Makes about 3 cups

Try making extra of this sauce and freezing it in 3-cup portions.

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 7-ounce can whole green chiles, drained and chopped
1 pound green tomatoes, or tomatillos, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup vegetable broth (or 1 vegetarian bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute more.  Stir in the green chilies, green tomatoes, cumin, oregano, salt, broth and water.  Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down and the mixture becomes sauce, about 10 minutes.  Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor, add the cilantro and puree until smooth.

NOTE:

I cut up the tomatoes and onions into about 1 inch chunks and roasted them, along with the whole cloves of garlic, in the oven at 350 degrees until softened and slightly browned on the tips.  I then scraped it all into my food processer, adding the other ingredients, with water to thin as necessary.  I omitted the vegetable broth completely.  I would season with salt to taste, along with the other seasonings, and I omitted cilantro (not a fan).

I poured the finished product into Quart-sized freezer Ziploc bags, removing as much air as possible.  Freeze flat for good space usage.



No comments:

Post a Comment