Saturday, June 2, 2012

Israeli Lenti Soup


"I got this recipe from my mother while I was in college.  Loved it then, love it now.  I'm not sure why, but both Steve and I love lentil soup!  I have several recipes for lentil soups and stews.  I'm in a soup mood now, so Israeli Lenti Soup is today's recipe to save!"    -- Merilou


1 cup dried lentils, not rinsed
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 ribs celery, shredded or minced
2 carrots, chopped small
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
3 cups water
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch dried thyme
pinch turmeric or curry powder
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup diced cooked chicken or turkey 

Combine all ingredients except lemon juice and meant, in soup pot.  Cover and simmer about an hour .  Stir in lemon juice and meat.

Makes 4 generous meal-sized servings, 290 calories each

The lentil is one of the oldest food.  In fact, the biblical "mess of pottage" that Esau traded for his birthright was actually lentil soup.

Lentils are high in protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber, yet virtually fat-free.  A cup of dried lentils has more protein than half a pound of beef.      -- source unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment