Sunday, June 3, 2012

Louise' Dill Poached Cod (or other firm fish!)


We have this dear lady at our church - Louise.  She was a friend of my Grandma's before Grandma passed away in 2007.  I always hope that I will be like Louise as I age.  I have never known a more pleasant woman -- never a harsh word, always thankful, with a sweet smile.  Louise submitted this recipe to our church cookbook that was compiled several years ago by our church's office staff.  I tried it, and it became one of our favorite ways to enjoy fish.  Both Steve and I enjoy fish and try to eat it once or twice a week at least.  I've used this recipe for Cod, Halibut, Orange Roughy and Salmon. They all turn out wonderfully!

4 cups water
3 chicken boullion cubes (I use 4)
4 T juice from dill pickle jar (1/4 cup)
1 t dill weed
1 med. onion, sliced (thinly)
1 bay leaf
1 t salt
1/2 coarsely ground pepper (or a few peppercorns)
2 lbs ling or rock cod fillets (or orange roughy/salmon, etc.)

In a deeper frying pan, or wider sauce pan, heat first 8 ingredients to a boil, simmer 20 minutes.

Add fish, and simmer 10 minutes or until desired doneness.

Serve with homemade tartar sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment